Sunday, June 3, 2018

Bankhead Day Three, Last Trail

Went back across the bridge to the other trail.
The beginning was across a small muddy stream that had to be jumped.  Then ahead was uphill and muddy. I was sure glad I had my walking stick.

Here's the start of the trail after the stream.

The river was off to the side and you had to walk very close to the edge of the mountain.  Many places had washed out spots due to all the rain.  It was slippery and very muddy. There were trees down, too.  Here are some shots of the trail.



In a few places, like the one above, you had to leave the main trail and go off a little ways to see the site. There were quite a few places that the trail split completely. They weren't marked in anyway and I actually made a wrong choice coming back and had to back track.



This was where I turned back. It was straight up and really muddy, I didn't think I'd be able to get back down without sliding down on my butt. 

Lots of trees down. Some had been down a long time and were all mossy and pretty and some even had mushrooms growing on them. (For some strange reason I really like seeing mushrooms).  Here's one shot of a log I thought was interesting.


The others mostly just blocked the trail. I went over logs, under logs and squeezed between logs.  I thought I was at Limbo dance boot camp.



Since I had lost my internet connection I couldn't fine any more trails. So I never found my waterfall. Sad.  

The rest of the day was fairly uneventful, oh except for when the bear wandered into our campsite.  I pulled out my bear spray and carried it the rest of the time here. We got up fairly early and after breakfast went ahead and packed up and left.  Only a short hop (about 200 miles) to Nashville. Bye...

No comments: