Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Amarillo

Amarillo, TX






Made it safe and sound....we only have one full day here, but there’s lots I want to do, so it will be a full day. It's a very nice RV park. Amarillo Big Texas RV Park.  It had nice doggy runs, an indoor pool, and a hot tub. 

When we checked in they offered us a free limo (standard practice here, we weren’t special) to the Big Texas Steak House. We made reservations for pick up, then set everything at the site up. 

The Limo picked us and another couple up at 7:00. 
It was a pretty

nice place,  it had a giant, two story restaurant with a big gift shop, game room, ice-cream and candy shop...





Would have liked to have gone to the local drive-in movie theater, but it was too late by the time we got back from dinner.








Got up bright and early on our only full day here...dropped Bob off at the golf course. It was really crowded but they got him out with a couple of local people.  It took him about 5 hours to play, it was so busy.





The golf course was next door to the zoo (hoping it would makeup for missing the Ft. Worth zoo).  It was half price Monday and with my senior discount I paid $1.50 to get in...it was too much, very sad zoo ...many exhibits were empty (the first thing inside is a broken down, empty monkey island...beside an empty Macaw cage. There were lots of farm animals, steer, donkey, buffalo, pony, turkeys...but not many zoo 
type animals they had nothing like monkeys or zebras/giraffes. They did have two each of lions and tigers but the caged areas were so small it made me sad.  They had one large turtle in a glass box so small he could barely turn around..it was bad...the only decent environment I saw was for the old black bear they had, but I couldn’t get a good photo of her through the glass cage.











There were lots of peacocks running around which I loved, but no peahens so the
   males didn’t want to show off their tails.

   I left soon and went to the botanical gardens...that was better, I wasn't very big, but I managed to find lots of things to take pictures.



I really love the flowers and animals everywhere.







Then down the highway to the edge of town for the Cadillac Ranch. What a disgrace!  First, the guidance system took me right past it and away (apparently, I should have listened to it, and missed it).


Then you park on the side of the road and walk close to a quarter mile to get there on a dirt road.  Once there, there are several old car bodies, stuck in the mud straight up...all covered with graffiti. Which I thought
sounded cool,   but there’s no drainage, so it was a mud pit and the graffiti was kindergarten, and the ‘artists’ were too cool to take their spray cans back with them and they were laying in the mud and grass all over the place.  


          I did find a nice quilt shop and the biggest Hobby Lobby I’ve ever seen in my life so that was cool..
I      Then it was time to go and pick up Bob. It was getting late so we went straight to the RV Travel Museum. It was pretty cool.  Not only did it have RV's but it had a large selection of antique motercycles.  And a cabinet of antique cameras and a very cool old filling stationMany of the campers were fit out so well that they would still be useful today.  I had no idea campers especially teardrop campers were made such a long time ago.
 

I want to say I'm sorry for the sorry state of this blog post.  I've tried three devices and three operating systems and spent hours trying to get it straight and it just does whatever it wants.

















































No comments: