Saturday, June 2, 2018

Bankhead Day Three...Trail One

     I couldn’t get the information about the waterfalls from the forest ranger station because it is closed on weekends. So I tried my GPS again and headed for the Sipsey Recreation area. 
After a few mishaps I found the area.
    I went through a lot of small towns in and around the forest. I noticed all the cemeteries were really decked out. They really take Memorial Day seriously around here.


(Note here...the signage isn’t just bad in this forest, it’s virtually nonexistent.)

Once I finally found the area, I parked and went looking for information. 
      There were two parking lots with a single lane bridge between them. The other side was a dead end. 
I parked on the front side, I didn’t care to drive over the bridge.  Here’s the bridge.


There were two trail heads. Neither had any information about them, not even a name or mileage chart.
I crossed the bridge to do the trail on that side. Here’s a view from the bridge. (Sipsey River)



The trail started off pretty easy. There were a few stone picnic tables spread out. They were moss covered and pretty icky, I doubt anyone has used them for years.


There were a few interesting things on the trail, but no waterfalls, so this was not the trail I was looking for.










Went back to the beginning of the trail and decided to try the other one. Here’s me at the trail...


Funny, when I recrossed the bridge some people asked me about the trails. The forest service really needs to do some work here.

No comments: