Thursday, June 21, 2018

Mount Rushmore

Mount Rushmore

We stayed at the Mount Rushmore KOA.  It rained both days we were here. Bad.  The place was very nice but the gravel roads and sites were pure mud.
The check in process was fast and efficient considering they had over 500 full sites, they have an amazing system.  




They had two swimming pools, hot tubs, play areas, mini golf, a couple of restaurants, a bar, a store (open til 11) very nice. (except for the mud).  The sites were pretty tight, but as busy as they were I can understand wanting to get as many in as possible. 

We had also booked a pull through and got a back in.  

I don't think they had enough bathrooms, and the signs getting to the bathrooms were nonexistent.  I walked around at midnight, in the rain, looking for a bathroom before I found one.  I think there was probably one closer but I couldn't find it. (Yes, I had a map, it didn't help the place is BIG).












We got up early to go to Mount Rushmore. When we got there the mountain top was completely covered in mist. 
So we went into the museum.  It was pretty cool.  












Here are a few photos from the museum, the rest are on the museum page.
 Tools that were used in carving the museum.
 One of the samples for the mountain it was changed many times.
  As we were leaving the museum to go to the movie we glanced out the window and the mountain was clear.




Yea.  We got our photos and looked from both levels. Then it fogged up again.



Good timing.

The movie was awesome. It showed how the mountain was conceived and built.  Until you see a man hanging from cables using a jack hammer to ring out a nostril, you don't realize how big this thing really is. 



Day time highs in the 50's and Rain, but it was still worth it.  Was kind of sad that I couldn't walk any of the trails, but they were pure mud.

Here's a profile view from the road.













After a short rest, I decided to go into town.  We got a free entrance to the president wax museum from the KOA and I wanted to go. Bob didn't want to go into town, so I drove in.  It was only 2 miles past the monument. 


Not really a town, just a couple of shops.  I also got a t-shirt and had lunch, the wax museum was Okay. More photos on the museum page.



No comments: